Monday, June 29, 2009

Loving Georgia Rivers ---Paddle Georgia 2009




Another year of Paddle Georgia has come and gone since that first little blurb of an add in the Sunday paper 5 years ago. It was Dave who found the article, pushed me to go and sent me on my way. I had paddled since the young age of 17 when I bought my canoe and tent with those first summer paychecks, but it was a trip like Paddle Georgia that I wanted to explore. With canoe in tow, this mother/son team set off. Five years later we are still enjoying these excursions. Exploring different rivers in a state that is new to me, I have come to love the rivers of Georgia. Needless to say, we embarked on a journey that has left us thirsting for more.

We have paddled over 500 miles on the Chattahoochee, Etowah, Ocmulgee, Flint, Coosawattee and Oostanaula Rivers with this group. We have witnessed many challenges that the Riverkeepers face and that the public should be aware of. Along the way, friends kept coming back every year with their same gusto, same sense of humor, and that same lack of sunblock. But, they all left more aware of the issues that are put in front of them on the Georgia rivers.
Now, if I can only find a way to do this full time. :)

Georgia Network Blog on Paddle Georgia 09

No comments: