Friday, April 16, 2010

Heidelberg



Tucked in the northern mountains of Georgia off the Appalachian Trail, there is a little German town called Helen.  I arrived at this town a couple weeks ago by foot after hiking four miles down the mountain from camp.  To my surprise there was a pub called Old Heidelberg.
Having been raised in a little borough called Heidelberg, I found myself heading towards this place. That very sign brought back thoughts of how I made hard choices long ago to get myself out of that little old Heidelberg town.  I wanted change and challenges and I had definitely found both, sometimes willingly sometimes not.
But as I walked through the door with a smile on my face, I knew some things don't change when a mere name takes you back to the good ole days.  Days and people that I could never forget that left an imprint on my life.
After ordering some red wine and raising my glass to the place, I found my way back to the path and up the mountain.  Of course that smile was still there.  :)

No comments: