Thursday, October 6, 2005

1533

"He had been my lover for years and yet it had been my task to make sure that he never knew me. As he lay on me, and moved inside me, I felt as lonely as if I were the ship which bore my name, out all alone at sea." The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

Out of the 650 pages of this book that I read, the two lines above stood out to me immediately after I read it. The loneliness that was portrayed of this girl seemed so real. Loneliness that seemed to slip so easily into her very soul and stay there unwanted. She was a girl who had everything, but had nothing that really mattered. I loved this book about the reign of King Henry VIII involving his first two wives. It's hard to imagine living in that era where females did not have a say in anything. I don't think that would sit well with me! This novel was compelling, spellbinding and I felt as if I was there in court with the Tudors each and every time I opened the book. There are not too many authors that can do that. I'm looking forward to reading the book that follows this one. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carol, I'm glad you weren't from that day too or it would have been "Off with her head".  Just kidding,  you probably would have ended up Queen, like Anne's daughter.  It was an amazing period.  That time has always fascinated me.

Derek