Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Memories through the kitchen window

  

This statue has traveled with me through three states and can be seen while looking out my kitchen window today.  It is from my childhood home and at times brings back thoughts of years ago. It stood in the center of our yard and was always surrounded by flowers.  As I close my eyes and remember the view out that window when I was growing up, memories come flooding back of that time. I can see the garden with the many vegetables and sunflowers that stood 10 feet tall. Thoughts of picking the harvest is still fresh in my mind with the taste of those first tomatoes being delicious.  The flowers were plentiful and beautified our yard and was the envy of many.  The clothes line of yesteryear held outfits of mine and my siblings blowing in the wind while we ran around them trying to play our games.  The grass was filled with dandelions that stood bright yellow against the lush green and picking a handful would always bring a smile to my lips....a weed to many, but a flower to a child.  My dog at the corner of the yard sat there looking for me to take him for a walk. The rabbit cages next to him were filled with bunnies that were "saved" by me from a great Uncle that raised them to eat. I can still see the elderly neighbors that are gone today but remain the same in my mind. Their ornery ways were difficult to understand at the time, but it didn't deter us from having our fun.  This view that has been imprinted in my mind is as clear as my day today.  It brings comfort of a time where innocence was plentiful and worries were far from our thoughts.  This escape of memories captures my attention at times when I look at this statue.  The surroundings are different.....but the inner peace is still there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful entry of picture and words. Thank you so much for sharing it. Memories are a special part of our lives. Paula

Anonymous said...

lovely!!!! and I see you still like bunnies too. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...very inspirational today..http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

Anonymous said...

You are the only person I know who could get a bunny to pose for a picture. Your memories are wonderful. They "spark" mine. Thanks, Bill.

Anonymous said...

memories of childhood can be so wonderful and comforting can't they. It's good to look back somethimes.