Friday, June 17, 2011

In the beginning

"There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it". -Charles Dudley Warner-

The moment has arrived and Paddle Georgia is here to show itself for the next 7 days. How exciting it is to finally be here. Reuniting with friends one time out of the year to experience yet another beautiful river in Georgia puts smiles on everyone's faces. Arriving in this state 10 years ago, I never thought I would be seeing Georgia quite this way. This week will have us traveling from the Piedmont Plains to the Coastal Plains. The river, its scenery and wildlife will change before our eyes. The beauty of spanish moss draping the cypress trees will come alive later in the week along with alligators peering at the 300 paddlers while wondering who is evading their territory... and why. Birds will sing their river song as the paddle georgia navy swims, play and paddle their way down the river. Not to forget the rope swings and jumping rocks that seem to call everyone's name, beckoning for the joys of youth to sprout from their adult bodies.
I lay here in my tent in anticipation of tomorrow. Dan and I will be ready to hit the water at 7am. We will paddle 12 miles on the Middle Oconee and go through a thicket of rocks and shoals called Ben Burton Shoals during the first few miles. I can't wait. I plan on having a great time. :)


Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments: