Thursday, June 16, 2011

Paddling into the wild...

 


Here we are, the day before we leave to make the 106 mile journey on the Oconee River from Athens to Dublin GA, and I sit here feeling to be quite the lucky one. This will be our 7th year going into the wild enjoying yet another river on one of the 14 different water basins I plan on paddling in Georgia. After next week, I will be halfway there with 7 rivers left to paddle the next 7 years. :)

Setting forth, my kayak, backpack and tent will be my best friend for the next 8 days. I can't think of a better way to see the outdoors. The excitement is mounting on just what lays in store for us. Dan was 11 when we both started this journey and now at almost 18, he is just as excited as that first day 7 years ago.

We will encounter nature at it's best in seeing new sites with new experiences. We start in the Piedmont Plain of Athens and end up in the Coastal Plains down south in Dublin. Passing the fault line (what I like to call the gnat line :), we will see the river change many times. We will be hot, tired and sore by the time we hit the pillow each night, but there will be a smile on my face that will stay there all night. :)

I hope to blog my trip this year instead of writing in a journal book. I just need the cooperation of my blackberry to do that. :)

Leaving it all behind, I start my journey.....

1 comment:

sunflowerkat said...

Oh, I hope that you are able to blog along the way. It sounds like a great trip. Wishing you safe travels and beautiful weather.